Securities Litigation is a national practice group with deep experience in federal and state securities law. Our clients include a broad range of businesses and individuals, such as start-ups and Fortune 500 companies in fields as diverse as life sciences, pharmaceuticals, technology, Internet, and retail; accounting firms, brokerage firms, foundations, venture capital firms, inside and outside directors, corporate officers and selling shareholders.
- Obtained dismissals and favorable settlements in hundreds of securities cases
- Obtained favorable results in hundreds of SEC and Department of Justice investigations
- Secured the first acquittal in any criminal prosecution in the United States related to stock option backdating charges
- Experienced federal and state prosecutors in former roles, including the United States Attorney for Massachusetts and Acting Associate Attorney General for the United States Department of Justice as well as several experienced federal fraud prosecutors
- Team has argued cases in United States Supreme Court and California Supreme Court and is current Chair of the Federal Court Discipline Committee
- Expertise in the area of directors' and officers' insurance policies
- Successfully negotiated many agreements with insurers covering both defense costs and settlement contributions
- Regularly teach courses on management of securities litigation to hundreds of insurance company lawyers
- Member of Chartis Securities Panel Counsel
Case in Point
In re Rigel Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Securities Litigation
Cooley's securities litigators secured a victory for client Rigel Pharmaceuticals, Inc., with significant implications for all companies involved in drug development, when the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed the dismissal of a securities fraud suit against Rigel. Importantly, the decision was the first from the Ninth Circuit to address the implication of the landmark Supreme Court decision in Matrixx Initiatives, Inc. v. Siracusano, 131 S.Ct. 1309 (2011) in the drug development and approval process. Read more
With experienced practitioners including former federal prosecutors, we protect our clients' legal and business interests while helping them navigate the increasingly complex and ever-changing securities laws.