Cooley's Emerging Companies practice has a long tradition of representing emerging and high-growth companies worldwide. Over the past decade, we have represented hundreds of technology-based and high-growth businesses in various fields (information technology, life sciences, medical devices, healthcare, clean technology, retail, finance, energy, communications, insurance, manufacturing and media) with all aspects of their formation and development.
Our team-oriented service approach offers our clients the flexibility to call on attorneys who are familiar with their products, technology and business models and who understand the tactical decisions made by executive management. In fact, we frequently complement a client's management team by serving as virtual general counsel, acting as a senior member of the team and participating in board-level discussions.
- Represent over 3,000 emerging companies in all industries, including software and information technology, telecommunications, semiconductors, life sciences, and clean technologies
- Extensive experience in all aspects of practice: corporate formation, venture financing, employee incentives, intellectual property protection, employment and severance matters, mergers and acquisitions, bankruptcy and litigation
- Help clients identify appropriate financing sources and assist with introductions to those sources
- Review client business plans and meet with founding teams to assist them in identifying their key strengths and weaknesses before approaching financing sources and other potential founders
- Help clients structure the transfer of intellectual property from founders, universities and other third parties in light of their business models, organizational needs and strategic direction
- Assist clients in structuring the commercialization of their products or services in coordination with our Technology Transactions or Life Sciences groups
- Attend board meetings and offer strategic advice and assistance in forming and maintaining an effective board of directors during a company's initial phases
- Skilled in advising clients on financing strategies and in managing and implementing virtually any type of financing transaction—from venture capital and mezzanine private placements; to initial and follow on public offerings; to PIPES deals, Rule 144A, convertible debenture and Regulation S placements
Rankings and Accolades
- Dow Jones Private Equity Analyst–Most Active Law Firms
Dow Jones Private Equity Analyst named Cooley in the top ten of its national Most Active Law Firm list. Rankings were determined by the number of private equity and venture capital deals negotiated and closed in 2011. Cooley represented 412 deals as reported by Dow Jones.
- Chambers and Partners 2011
#1 Investment Funds: Venture Capital nationally
#1 Corporate/M&A: Venture Capital in CA
- The Legal 500
12 Cooley practice areas ranked among the most outstanding in the U.S. in 2011–Venture Capital, Emerging Companies, Finance, M&A, IP, Tax, Tax Litigation Technology Transactions, Antitrust, Bankruptcy, Equity Offerings and White Collar
- Ranked #2 nationally from 2002 to 2010 in representing venture-backed companies in financings; ranked #1 in each of Southern California, Mid-Atlantic and Colorado (VentureSource 2011)