Cooley's Asia practice reflects the dynamic nature and increasing importance of Asian markets to our clients' business strategies. Our attorneys understand the unique business opportunities and legal challenges presented by international transactions in this rapidly-growing region and we regularly advise companies doing business in China, Japan, India, Taiwan, Korea, Vietnam, Australia and New Zealand. In 2011, we seized opportunity to expand the Firm's franchise in Shanghai, China, a market that is one of the fastest growing in the world and where key growth areas are strongly aligned with our core practices.
In addition, we continue to provide clients a network of relationships with leading law, accounting and venture capital firms in the region, which have the local expertise that is critical to our clients' success in these countries. Our Asia Practice has multilingual lawyers with substantive knowledge regarding Asian markets and clients.
Key areas in which we have advised clients doing business in Asia and the Pacific Rim include:
- Venture capital fund formation
- Implementing market entry strategies, via collaboration, distribution, licensing and OEM agreements
- Compliance with U.S. export controls and defending clients charged with export control violations
- Compliance with the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act
- Mergers and acquisitions in all parts of Asia and Australasia
- International tax planning to create an optimal group structure as U.S. operations expand into Asia
- Appointing sales agents and distributors across the Asia-Pacific region
- Intellectual property strategy and related enforcement issues
- Cross-border joint ventures and collaboration and manufacturing arrangements in the life sciences sector
- Assisting with regulatory compliance issues in the life science, medical services, internet and gaming sectors
- Our relationships and experience in the technology, life science and venture capital communities, combined with our insight into the U.S. and Asian markets, contribute to our clients' business success in this ever growing region.